Thursday 18 February 2010

Animator's Skills

What skills does an animator need?

After researching numerous websites and reading interviews, these are the skills that I believe are required in order to be a successful Animator:

• Be creative and artistic.
• Have good drawing skills in order to convey ideas.
• For 3D, IT skills are needed for Maya or other programs that are used. 2D animators also need to use computers to scan in their drawings.
• Pay attention to detail, especially if it is going to be blown up on the big screen.
• Be observant and understand how people move and express emotions.
• Have good communication and negotiation skills to express ideas and back them up.
• Be original and inventive.
• Have good organisational skills- must stick to timeframe given.
• Work well as part of a team and be able to take direction from senior animators, directors and clients.
• Be able to follow a brief yet also take initiative with it.
• Work well under pressure and keep to strict deadlines.
• Animators normally have a degree, and continue learning on the job with all the new software etc that comes out all the time.

My skills/strengths:
MAYA
Continual improvement makes me more confident to create animations that will impress potential employers, especially with a T shape of skills such as modelling or special effects that I have been learning more of this term.

TEAM WORK
Is key to creating animations as many people create one scene from concept to life, for example this term we have been creating a Digital Environment as a team. Initally, we had some problems with ideas and a little disruption between the group due to this. However, when we settled on an idea we have become a strong unit and managed to achieve a successful result so far. Our tutor even commented that we were working well as a team and we have a consistent style throughout our work.

TIME MANAGEMENT
I have never missed a deadline until last Christmas, which was due to severe illness. I promptly finished my projects and handed them in the first day of this term. I will work consistently every day if necessary to meet a deadline. Although I do not always set myself a timeline online (which I should due), I always have goals of what I want to achieve in a day or on a weekly basis. Chaos near the end of a project is normal in a computer game or film development environment where deadlines are crucial for example to hit Christmas markets and could result in a fan backlash if it is late.

KNOWLEDGE
I am a huge computer game and animated film fan and read the websites and magazines regularly to gain an insight into the Industry, even regarding those that would not interest me on a personal level. I am very passionate about the subject matter, and for example have worked at both Gamestation and the Disney Store to learn even more about the end result of the Industry I long to work in.

No comments:

Post a Comment